Sunday, May 7, 2023

Rations, Downtimes, & Travelling

I have always been kind of loosey-goosey with travel rules and such. I feel like even more than most other mechanics, they're the kind of thing that can be highly subjective depending on the playgroup. The ones I put into the current version of OUH never sat right with me, because they were my attempt at codifying something that's... really not there too much?

This is my attempt to fix that with something that I hope flows a little better. I would put it into a main book revision but I haven't had a chance to run them at a table yet first, so planning on doing that and polishing them up a little first.

If your group uses similar rules for whatever system you play or you have any critiques or advice, feel free to reach out.

- I no longer track Rations... mostly. They're mainly treated as most other supplies like torches now- effectively infinite until it actually matters for something interesting to happen- aside from their more gamey mechanical use when Resting.

- I've written up a kind of "push your luck" form of handling Upkeep & Downtime Activities. My hope is it'll encourage players to take risks and make taking Downtimes more interesting / often.

- Overland travelling is more codified, kind of as a more narrative / montage kind of thing. It's stupid in the same way I am.

- For exploration I'm going to try applying my spin on Arnold Kemp's Underclock, because it seems like one of those teeth-gnashingly good ideas.


Check them out in the "OUH - Travel Rules Update" pdf available on https://onunnamedhorizons.itch.io/on-unnamed-horizons 


No comments:

Post a Comment